Virginia State Government 00439 - Enterprise Infrastructure Engineer in Norfolk, Virginia
Norfolk State University (NSU) invites applications for the position of Enterprise Infrastructure Engineer (Information Technology Specialist III). The incumbent will report directly to the Enterprise Infrastructure Manager and is responsible for providing highly skilled technical work to assure proper installation, operation, and maintenance of servers and services that impact the entire University community; assist in planning and implementation of local and hosted server infrastructure changes; provide support for other technology-based projects; develop and compile research and statistical reports; and assist in maintaining the overall stability and reliability of the local and hosted server operating environment.
The successful candidate will be responsible for the following duties:
Plan, direct, and implement systems to satisfy customer needs within all ITS Enterprise Infrastructure.
Test upgrades and new system implementations.
Prepare implementation and project plans.
Support business disaster recovery procedures for assigned area of responsibility.
Plan and implement the delivery and improvement of service.
Preform problem determination and resolution of service outages.
Develop and evolve total environment monitoring and remediation plan for detected issues.
Define system operation and maintenance procedures.
Provide technical assistance to developers and other IT personnel to facilitate utilization/maintenance of new and existing systems.
Furnish documentation and assistance to IT support staff in providing support to end users.
Work with other departments’ technical staff to ensure interoperability of services, and identify and implement technologies that allow for growth and expansion of services.
Accomplish goals and objectives outlined in the strategic plan.
Perform other duties as assigned.
* EEO STATEMENT NSU is committed to providing equal employment opportunities for all persons and applicants, without regard to age, color, disability, gender, national origin, political affiliation, genetic information, race, religion, sexual orientation, sex (including pregnancy) or veteran status. NSU encourages and invites minorities, women, individuals with disabilities and veterans to apply.*
Extensive working knowledge of server technology stacks (Microsoft, Linux/Unix).
Extensive working knowledge of Exchange and/or Office 365 management.
Considerable working knowledge of Virtualization concepts and implementations (i.e., VMWare technology stack).
Working knowledge of networking concepts (i.e., IP, DHCP, DNS, and VLANs).
Working knowledge of enterprise server architectures (i.e., high availability, load balancing, redundancy and failover).
Demonstrated ability to provide excellent customer service, interpersonal skills and perform all duties professionally, timely and courteously.
Demonstrated ability and experience, with establishing effective working relationships and interact with a diverse array of internal and external customers.
Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing; translating complex technical matters to end users who have varied levels of understanding of subject matters.
Demonstrated ability to work in a collaborative, team environment.
Demonstrated ability to be a “self-starter,” work independently and proactively identify problems and provide resolutions.
Demonstrated ability to conduct research and provide statistical report and analysis.
Demonstrated ability to participate in collaborative initiatives which foster the mutual exchange of knowledge and expertise.
High school diploma, or equivalent combination of education and experience that provides the requisite knowledge, skills and abilities.
VMWare VCP/VCAP certification, or equivalent combination of education and experience that provides the requisite knowledge, skills and abilities.
Microsoft Certifications (ex. MCSE, MCTIP and the like), or equivalent combination of education and experience that provides the requisite knowledge, skills and abilities.
Previous demonstrated experience with PowerShell in a server environment.
Demonstrated experience with Microsoft SQL Environments.
Bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution of higher learning in Computer Science or related discipline, or equivalent combination of education and experience that provides the requisite knowledge, skills and abilities.
- Norfolk State University conducts background checks on all candidates identified as a finalist for employment consideration at the University. The type of background check(s) performed are dependent upon the type of position for which you have been identified as a finalist and may include: criminal history, including sexual offender registry checks, reference checks, degree validation, DMV (driving) records, license verification, credit report reviews. The results of background checks are made available to University employing officials. You will be required to sign a reference release form.
- Norfolk State University utilizes Form I-9 and E-verify in the verification of eligibility for employment.
Special Instructions to Applicants
- Candidates may show interest by submitting, in its entirety online, an application and all required application material.
- Applicant is solely responsible for ensuring application and material thoroughly reflects their knowledge, skills, and abilities, as it relates to the advertised qualifications.
- A complete application, including all previous employment, salary history, and education, for full consideration, must be received online by 11:59PM of the “Job Close Date.”
- Applicants who list “see resume” or “see Curriculum Vitae” in lieu of completing the application may miss the opportunity for full consideration.
- NSU conducts background checks on all candidates identified as finalist for employment. The type of background check(s) performed is dependent upon the type of position for which you have been identified as a finalist, which may include: criminal history, sex offender registry checks, reference checks, degree validation, driving records, license verification, credit history review. The results of background checks are made available to University employing officials. You will be required to sign an Authorization to release form.
Office of Human resources
Faxed material not accepted.
Emailed material not accepted.
700 Park Avenue Norfolk, VA 23504
Working Title: 00439 - Enterprise Infrastructure Engineer
Role Title: Info Technology Specialist III - 39113
Job Open Date: 03/05/2018
Job Close Date: 03/16/2018
Open Until Filled: No
Is this position funded in whole or in part by the American Recovery & Reinvestment Act (Stimulus Package)?: No
Hiring Range: $57,342 - $134,764 (Based on Starting Pay Practices)
Agency: Norfolk State University (213)
Agency Website: www.nsu.edu
Location: Norfolk - 710
Position Number: 00439
Job Posting Number: 1035190
Type of Recruitment: General Public - G
Does this position have telework options?: No
Bilingual/Multilingual Skill Requirement/Preference: No
Job Type: Full-Time (Salaried)
Job Type Detail: Full-Time Salaried - Non-Faculty- FTS-1
Pay Band: 06